Wednesday 28 September 2011

Not a lot, nothing, blimey!!!

Had a quick trip to Ynyslas last night with Matt Potter and Jane.  Expectations were high, dark moon, good tides, autumn  - had everything going for it!  Disappointingly there were hardly any waders present! A great shame as the catching confirmed the ideal conditions with most of what was seen ending up in the landing-net, namely, 10 Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plovers.

An early morning Ouzel catching attempt followed for Jane and myself. Unfortunately, the Ouzels proved even more elusive than the waders. Two were seen, briefly, but neither in the right place (top, bottom or middle shelf!)

Wounded by the lack of success we headed off to a small watering-hole in a nearby bit of private forestry where I've been ringing a few Crossbills recently. On arrival the trees were absolutely buzzing with Siskins and as I rushed to put up the single 20ft NR net over the pool a juvenile crossbill flew into a tree about 5ft from my head. This looks very promising!  Just a couple of net rounds later the total catch stood at 73 Siskins, 30 Lesser Redpolls, 5 Chaffinch, 2 Coal Tits and a Chiffchaff. Amazing! Who knows what the total might have been if I hadn't had to give up and go to work (yes, I do - occasionally!)

2 comments:

  1. I believed those totals until I read the bit about work! Don't tell me a flying pig just missed the top shelf too :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, pity though, could have been 121!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment on any of the posts featured. All comments are moderated however so may take a short time to appear. Unsuitable comments will be deleted.